Time Line – We’re Taking Off!
Change happens. We all know this, and sometimes it comes in lumps and bumps. This has never been truer for this community then right now. Let’s take a look shall we? Hold on to your hat and enjoy the ride:
- 10 months ago, PFOD learned their lease would expire October 1st, 2013.
- 8 months ago, a Transition Committee was formed.
- 7 months ago, we began an earnest search to lease a new home.
- 5 months ago, we elected the current Board of Directors.
- 4 months ago, we settled on renting space from the Dharma Rain Zen Community for a new home.
- 3 months ago, we put most of our stuff in storage and moved to the Dharma Rain Zendo.
- And yes, it was only 3 months ago that our Board began seriously considering the possibility of buying the Dharma Rain Zendo.
When Luang Por Pasanno heard of these conversations, he said “I am happy to be supportive in any way I can.” And helpful he was and remains today. On June 28th*, Luang Por Pasanno’s presence anchored PFOD’s first ever Benefit and by the end of the day the results were in:
- LOAN FOR PURCHASE: A couple in the community offered to provide a loan to buy the building.
- DOWN PAYMENT: A few community members committed substantial funds towards the down payment, totaling over $31,000.
- MONTHLY INCOME: At an initial kickoff meeting community members pledge monthly commitments exceeding $1,500 and, to our great delight, people continue to join us in this very beautiful cause. To date we have pledges from 32 supporters totaling $2,076.00 per month (that’s around $25,000 for a year).
Prior to this benefit, PFOD had no sustaining pledges in place. We went from Zero per month to $2,076.00 per month in just over 2 months! And, Luang Por is coming back to support us once again. Luang Por Pasanno returns:
Benefit for Portland Friends of the Dhamma
A Benefit with Luang Por Pasanno, Ajahn Sudanto, joined by Abhayagire & Hermitage monastics.
Friday and Saturday: October 11th and12th
Friday Evening: Tea Time from 5:30 – 6:45 pm; Meditation and Dhamma Talk: 7:00 – 9:00 pm
Saturday Daylong Event
9:00 – 11:30 am – Precepts, Chanting, Meditation, Dhamma Reflections
11:30 Pot Luck Meal Offering (downstairs)
1:00 – 4:00 pm – Reflections and Encouragements
4:00 – Closing
All donations go toward the goal of purchasing the Dharma Rain Zendo
There’s more! On Sunday, Luang Por heads out to White Salmon Wa. in support of the Pacific Hermitage Pah Bah. We hope you can join us in these wonderful events.