Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Portland Friends of the Dhamma. The efforts of our volunteers are the heartbeat of this community and create a loving space for sharing the Dhamma, meditation practice, and the forming of deep interpersonal connections. With your generosity, you are helping to manifest future opportunities for others to benefit from the teachings of the Buddha.
Our volunteer program allows community members to offer their volunteer efforts as part of their practice. There are weekly, monthly, quarterly, and one time tasks available; whatever your ability to contribute, we have an opportunity for you to participate.
Overview of Volunteer Program
Weekly or Monthly Service
- Sunday Sila stewards – Set up the Dhamma hall for Sunday morning sits or close down afterwards, ensuring that our building is secure and ready for the next group to use
- Greeters – Welcome people as they arrive
- Housekeeping – Keep our Dhamma home clean by vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, bathrooms, and/or other tasks as needed
- Hospitality – Bring Sunday flowers, or help set up/clean up for snacks and social time after Sunday Sila
- Tea Tray Preparation – Help make tea trays for monastic visits
- Groundskeeping – Sweep the steps, put out trash cans, help keep our perimeter clean and free of garbage
- AV Team – Help us with audio or video recordings
- Library – Help maintain and organize our books for free distribution
- Children’s Program – Help as a Teacher’s Assistant during Sunday Sila; on call support for sick/vacation coverage
Quarterly or Twice Yearly Service
- Community work parties for housekeeping, landscaping, maintenance
- Other one time projects
- As needed “Handy Person” – Help with plumbing, electrical, building repair, painting, gutter cleaning, and other maintenance as needed
- Community Photographer – Regularly take photos of our community events
- Community Photo Album Creator – Put together a community photo album to be kept at the Dhamma Center (Creativity is welcome around the creation of this project!)
- Bookkeeping Assistant – Data entry into QuickBooks
- Office Assistant – Paper filing
If you would like more information about the volunteer opportunities that are currently open, please complete this short questionnaire below. Kristen, our volunteer contact person, will be in touch. You can also email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or approach her directly in person at the Dhamma Center to get involved.
Please complete this form if you are interested in volunteering with us.
Anumodana! We welcome your involvement.